List of stations owned or operated by Nexstar Media Group
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Nexstar Media Group is the largest owner of television stations in the United States, currently owning or operating a total of 197 television stations across the United States, many of which are affiliates of the four major U.S. television networks and are located in markets as large as Los Angeles and as small as San Angelo, Texas. It also operates all of the stations owned by affiliated companies, such as Mission Broadcasting, White Knight Broadcasting, Vaughan Media, and Super Towers, under local marketing agreements.
The following stations listed below are either owned and operated by Nexstar, or controlled by Nexstar through management services agreements (MSAs) with affiliated companies like Mission Broadcasting and Shield Media, among others, to comply with current FCC ownership limits. Until November 2015, Nexstar also held the license of one station which was operated by Sinclair Broadcast Group through an MSA. Most of the stations Nexstar owns and operates were acquired through acquisitions of Quorum Broadcasting in 2003, Newport Television in 2012, Communications Corporation of America in 2015, Media General in 2017, and Tribune Media in 2019.
Each Nexstar cluster also operates its own news website, though many stations owned by Nexstar before the Media General merger do not use their station branding or call letters in the addresses, choosing to use a slogan related to their area instead. Despite this, in all cases, all call letter-specific addresses are retained by Nexstar and redirect to a station’s site for familiarity to site visitors and to discourage cybersquatting. The Media General and Tribune stations acquired by Nexstar (the Media General deal also included Frankly, which provides platform software and CMS services for many television station websites) have all retained their previous addresses, including call letter-specific addresses, and as a direct result of the deal, some Nexstar stations have resumed using call-only addresses. Slogan web addresses have generally been deprecated across the broadcast industry with the rise of social media, specifically due to fake news ‘local news’ websites which also use slogan addresses which are easily confused with real broadcast stations.
Formerly, Nexstar stations also maintained separate deal of the day sites on the .biz domain with paid “ask the experts” sections and advertorial sections, though the decline of the local deal of the day business model, along with wariness of viewers of .biz sites from its association with spam marketing saw these sites eventually close when the Media General deal closed.
Current Nexstar Television stations
Stations are arranged alphabetically by state and by city of license.
- (Q) – Indicates a station owned by Quorum Broadcasting prior to its acquisition by Nexstar in 2003.
- (¤¤) – Indicates a station acquired by Nexstar from Newport Television in 2012 & 2013. WXXA was sold concurrently to Shield Media in 2012. Nexstar would eventually operate the station in 2017.
- (~~) – Indicates a station acquired by Nexstar from Citadel Communications in 2014.
- (≈≈) – Indicates a station owned by Grant Broadcasting prior to its acquisition by Nexstar in 2014.
- (##) – Indicates a station owned by Communications Corporation of America prior to its acquisition by Nexstar in 2015.
- (λ) – Indicates a station acquired by Nexstar from Landmark Media Enterprises in 2015.
- (§§) – Indicates a station owned by Media General prior to its merger by Nexstar in 2017.
- (++) – Indicates a station owned by West Virginia Media Holdings prior to its acquisition by Nexstar in 2017.
- (ττ) – Indicates a station owned by Tribune Broadcasting prior to its acquisition by Nexstar in 2019.
- 1 These stations are nominally owned by Mission Broadcasting and operated by Nexstar under local marketing agreements.
- 2 WYZZ is owned by Cunningham Broadcasting and operated by Nexstar under a local marketing agreement.
- 3 These stations are nominally owned by Vaughan Media and operated by Nexstar under a shared service agreement.
- 4 These stations are nominally owned by White Knight Broadcasting and operated by Nexstar under a shared service agreement.
- 5 WNAC is owned by Super Towers, Inc. and operated by Nexstar under a local marketing agreement.
Former Nexstar stations
“Virtual Duopolies Coming Under Fire”. TVNewsCheck. 9 June 2010. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
Stelter, Brian (29 May 2012). “You Can Change the Channel, but Local News Is the Same”. The New York Times. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
“Nexstar Selling 3 Fox Affils For $58.5 Million”. TVNewsCheck. 6 June 2014. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
Malone, Michael (6 June 2014). “Nexstar Plans Sale of Three Fox Affiliates For $58.5 Million”. Broadcasting & Cable. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
“Fcc Revises Local Television Ownership Rules”. Fcc.gov. 5 August 1999. Retrieved 3 March 2018.
- Nexstar Broadcasting Completes Acquisition of Quorum Broadcast Holdings, businesswire.com, 31 December, 2003, Retrieved 3 November, 2018.
- Nexstar Broadcasting Group Completes Acquisition of Media General Creating Nexstar Media Group, The Nation’s Second Largest Television Broadcaster Nexstar Media Group, 17 January 2017. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
NewPP limit report
Parsed by mw1324
Cached time: 20210223152752
Cache expiry: 2592000
Dynamic content: false
CPU time usage: 0.534 seconds
Real time usage: 0.725 seconds
Preprocessor visited node count: 1344/1000000
Post‐expand include size: 40625/2097152 bytes
Template argument size: 1767/2097152 bytes
Highest expansion depth: 8/40
Expensive parser function count: 0/500
Unstrip recursion depth: 1/20
Unstrip post‐expand size: 18067/5000000 bytes
Lua time usage: 0.176/10.000 seconds
Lua memory usage: 3050022/52428800 bytes
Number of Wikibase entities loaded: 1/400
Transclusion expansion time report (%,ms,calls,template)
100.00% 405.503 1 -total
70.13% 284.399 1 Template:Reflist
59.89% 242.852 4 Template:Cite_web
13.95% 56.586 1 Template:NXST_TV
10.97% 44.467 1 Template:Official_website
10.14% 41.119 1 Template:Navbox
3.95% 16.013 32 Template:Small
3.83% 15.523 1 Template:Cite_news
1.25% 5.065 3 Template:Main_other
Saved in parser cache with key enwiki:pcache:idhash:56738307-0!canonical and timestamp 20210223152751 and revision id 1007985759. Serialized with JSON.